Do you want to live a fresh and healthy live style? What about having fresh and healthy foods?
The best way to ensure that you are getting the freshest and healthiest foods is by growing it yourself. Organic gardening has been around for a great deal of time, although recently it has become very popular.
Where to start?
You’ll first want to start by planning your garden, this article will help you get an idea on what you will need to do
- Find a place to plant
- Find plants that grow in your area
- Get the proper tools
- Find and purchase seeds that will grow in your area
- Prepare growing area
Place to plant:
- Option 1: field; One of the most common garden types are using fields, tilling the soil and forming rows to plant in, although this isn’t possible for many.
- Option 2: raised bed; A very common garden type for ones with limited space or for those who just prefer it. A box if formed above the ground which is filled with soil that you plant into rather than rows.
- Option 3: pots; These are great for single plants such as tomatoes and peppers. They allow you to greatly control soil, water, and location.
- Option 4: others; Other ways of planting exist that I will touch on in future articles, these first three are the most common and you will probably choose from one of them.
Plants that grow in your area:
Use this site ‘ https://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/ ’ to find what and when to plant.
- Hoe: You won’t need many tools to start a small garden, one big one is a hoe if you are using option 1/2, although using pots you probably won’t need one.
- Shovel: A shovel, any kind really will work fine for moving soil.
- Bucket: Almost necessary for all gardens, a very helpful and cheap tool.
- Electric/gas tiller: Not necessary but very helpful for option 1, especially the bigger your garden gets.
- Tractor: A tractor is a hugely resourceful asset but not available to many, this will help create a garden much faster than the alternatives, I’ve created many gardens without the use of a tractor, but they make it much easier.
Seeds: Seeds can be purchased in kits at amazon, I recommend any from below with high reviews. You can also pick from other kits if you’d prefer or buy locally
Here is a direct link to one with large variety: https://amzn.to/2T3F0b6
After you have a place to plant, seeds that will grow in your area, and proper tools, you can start gardening.
Prepare your planting medium:
below are overviews, in the future I will have a dedicated article to each.
To prepare a field you will want to use either an electric tiller or tractor, although it is possible with a hoe and shovel it’ll take much longer. You want to cut up the ground the best you can, continue doing this until most the grass is dead, you may want to wait a week after the first time you chop up the ground and come back. Add fertilizer or any other elements to the ground before the final time you chop up the soil. Chop up the soil again and then form your hills if the majority of the grass is dead. You are now ready for planting.
Build a box of the size of your choice with any construction material of your choice. I will go over this more in depth in a future article. After constructing the box fill it with the soil of your choice. You are now ready for planting.
Get a pot for the size of plant you want, the bigger the pot the better. You can either get your own dirt from around your yard from a compost pile or purchase dirt from your local store. After this fill up the pot. You are now ready for planting
In your container make a hole around 1-2inches into the ground, find more exact measurements on the back of your seed package. Plant in this hole and cover with soil. Water once the seed is planted.
Now that you have your garden setup, you can enjoy the growth of your plants. I will write another article in the future of an in depth guide on raising your plants and harvesting.
Go Organic! Start living an organic lifestyle.